maandag 4 oktober 2010

Taaltreffers

http://www.taaltreffers.nl/
Taaltreffers is an online Dutch vocabulary game for elementary school pupils from group 6, 7 and 8. I think this game is based on a inquiry learning approach, because the learner makes a virtual tour through the soccer stadium of FC Twente. Under while the pupil is making this tour, he will find many words he has to define. At the moment this game is used by schools in the neighbor of the soccer stadium of FC Twente. There are plans to create a newer version that can be implemented on a national level.

I did my bachelor thesis on this game and I discovered that it’s a very attractive game for elementary schools. I think this is because all the pupils are familiar with the football club FC Twente and the players, who are also part of the game. This makes the pupils enthusiastic what will lead to a good motivation for finding and defining the words. The pupil learns under while he is playing with technology. I think that is a wonderful combination for children in that age..

http://www.taaltreffers.nl

8 opmerkingen:

  1. Petra,

    What happened to the website of Taaltreffers? It's not online anymore. Thankfully it wasn't that hard to write something about it, so I didn't need the website!

    Thomas

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I know.. they are working on it!
    And I was thinking: what kind of pedagogical approach is used in Taaltreffers? Is it something "fancy" like inquiry learning, or is it "just" drill and practice?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. First I thought it was a kind of inquiry learning, as I said in my post. But the vocabulary games are more like drill and practice. I think it's a combination of these two, because it doesn't 'feel' like drill and practice. The children have to discover and search (like in inquiry learning) for the 'drill and practice' games..

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Nice post Thomas, I think Taaltreffers is a nice and motivating game as well! I did not play the game, so I am not sure whether this fits here or not, but maybe a multiplayer option would be nice! I think for inquiry learning it is also important that students can share or discuss their new knowledge in some way. But I am not sure if it is appropriate in this game.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Thanks for your reaction Maaike!

    The aim of the game is that pupils learn the words. Now they have to do it individual, but it can be an idea to relate the game to collaborative learning (pupils can help each other)! Some teachers told me that they divide the pupils in groups, based on the level of the pupils, and let them work together.

    To integrate a discussion forum in the game can be a great option! In this way the learners will share their experiences, what will lead to more competition within the pupils.. Don't you think?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Oh yes, I think that is a nice idea indeed :) I think it should be integrated in the game somehow though! Messages they could post via their smartphone or something, which other students receive on their smartphone.

    Cool game :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Hey Thomas,

    Taaltreffers seems like a attractive game for children. Did you also test it with children on a primary school? Is it only fun when you're a fan of FC Twente? Is it attractive enough for girls or AJAX fans?
    I would like to see how this game works. Perhaps you have a test account, which you can give me during the next lecture...

    Jeffrey

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen